If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen me being dramatic and embarrassing my family name over Nigerian web series – This is it a few weeks back. I can explain the drama, I promise.
But first, let me backtrack into how I sold my soul and got sucked into the e-life of young and clueless newlyweds – Tomide and Dede Wanda.
I had been seeing tweets and bits of this web series “this is it” flying around my timeline but dismissed it as just another hyped series because you know we Nigerians like to hype things. But I decided to give this is it a try one evening and never looked back. I was drawn in by how real they were and how deeply they loved each other. It was so evident to see!
This is it ended a few weeks ago and I was beyond myself with happy-sad tears. Happy because of course, the ending was so sweet and mushy. Sad because my favorite e-couple were leaving my screen forever *sobs*. I announced between all the emotions going through my chest that I was going to write about some of the lessons I learned from the web series but later decided against it because I’m sure you guys wouldn’t fancy reading a post punctuated by words like “gosh and tears” at every interval.
So when my friend and colleague, Dr. Funmi Akinde also tweeted something similar, I took a swift dive into her DMs to ask that she shares her lessons with us on my blog instead and she obliged!
Over To Funmi..
I stumbled across the web-series ‘This is it’ a couple of weeks back and binge-watched the first season and most of the second season. I really had watched it out of sheer boredom and was not looking to learn any lessons.
This series actually turned out to be more than just a web series, it legit turned into prayer session. I literally would start speaking Tomide’s traits into my future husband with each episode. A really serious something.
Anyways, this post isn’t to gosh over them but to share a few lessons I learned about marriage from watching this series.Check out these 10 key lessons on Love and Marriage from Nigerian web series - This-is it! Click To Tweet
- No matter how long you dated your partner, marriage is a whole different ballgame. Having to live with and constantly share your space with someone exposes you to a new side of them; be ready to learn and adjust to this side. (The entire season 1. Lol.)
- A man who loves you would not have you wondering or guessing. My sister, you would know!!! It would be obvious and palpable. Plain as day. (Every damned episode)
- Marry your friend. It makes everything easier. (Every episode again)
- We need to learn to be sensitive to the things your partner says and even the things they are not ‘saying’ but ‘showing’. (S1 Ep 6)
- Marry a praying partner. Life is too stressful to be the only one lifting your home up in prayer and intercession. (S2 Ep 2)
- 6. Nothing is too small or little to tell your partner about. Especially when it comes to your dreams and ambitions. In other words, communication truly is everything in a relationship. (S2 Ep 1)
- 7. Never ignore the way a man treats his family especially his mother. (S1 Ep 6, ep 9)
- 8. Men would be men with their egos. That he doesn’t tell you doesn’t mean he’s not struggling with one or two things. Ask but do not nag. (S1 ep9)
- 9. It’s okay to compromise in a relationship. Not saying give up your dreams for your partner, but it’s alright to let them be the sun while you’re a star. (S1 Ep 9,10)
- 10. Your married friend is not deliberately avoiding or ignoring you because you’re still single. You just have to respect the first that his/her partner takes priority now. (S1ep1
Side note: I can’t be the only one who cried when the series ended.
Side side note: Blogging and content creating is not beans! Shout out Cassie, you’re doing well.
Thank You, Funmi, for obliging me and for this lovely post! Now Over to you guys, Did you also binge watch This is it? If yes, what did you think of the series and did you learn anything from it? As for me, it made me decide not to settle in love because marriage is a forever thing and I want to be happy in mine. Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments! If you’re also one of those who watched it and thought “Meh”, why didn’t you like it? Too unrealistic?
Please Let me know your thoughts in the comments, share and let’s connect!