Over the last couple of days, I’ve had to answer the “so, what else do you do” question on more than a few occasions at work.
I always get hesitant when asked and I’m never quite sure if to bother explaining that I am a blogger. Of course, that’s me just trying to state what I do in simple terms because saying I’m a creative entrepreneur and content creator might be a bit complicated.
The few conversations I’ve had haven’t been motivating to want to bother giving a reply to that question. I’ve found that most people just immediately think that I must be into the “linda ikeji” type of blogging – news/gossip and when I delve further to explain that I am in fact a fashion and lifestyle blogger, they just seem lost and then proceed to belittle it.
A colleague’s reply to my answer, after forcing my blog url out of me and checking it out was that “people must be really jobless to just sit down and read this and oh! So you just sit and write about yourself.
Another suggested some topics for me to write about and they were mostly political news. Lol
A good number of people have the same view of bloggers and blogging here in Nigeria. Right from my colleagues at work, to even my own family (both extended and nuclear)
My Aunt just recently asked me what I was going to specialize in and when I said I wasn’t sure, she proceeded to give me a speech on how she’s sure its that blogging thing that is still in my head. She made it sound like child’s play, like a waste of time.
Also, the other morning I was trying to send out an email to my subscribers while also preparing for work and my dad looked and me and went “you know this computer thing you do” has to stop now that you have a job.
I can give a million and one instances where people have belittled what I do but it all still balls down to the same thing. They don’t quite get what “this blogging thing” is all about and how much of a big deal it is.
- No, I don’t mean that I write about news and gossip. There happens to be other niches asides from that. I write about my personal style/ life journey, fashion tips and blogging advice too.
- Yes I write about what I wear and my life, amongst other things but it is way more than that. Even if it weren’t more than that, just doing this has made me able to work with lots of big brands and more yet to come.
- No, I’m not just joking around on the internet and wasting time. I’m making meaningful connections and creating a name for myself in the process too.
- Yes, I make money off my blog and No, I’m not as rich as Linda Ikeji yet.
- I also leverage on my blog to put out services and products of my own, like the blog planner I created and my blog review/consultation services.
And because I try to pick out lessons from every thing, this has shown me where I’m also at fault and taught me that I definitely need to ditch the generic way of introducing what I do, and get a more solid and concise elevator pitch.
P.S – I talked a bit about ways blogging has impacted on my life positively in this post
– And if you’re a blogger , you should totally check out these 15 things every blogger can relate to here. I feel like I should add people misunderstanding what you do to that list.
– Also check out my blogging tips If you’re looking to start your blog.